Bakersfield-based engineering and consulting firm Cornerstone Engineering is venturing into new services as it hopes to tap into a breadth of out-of-work talent following the collapse of Bitwise Industries and its Bakersfield-based software subsidiary, Stria.
The Big Picture: The firm announced it was developing three new divisions: Business Process Automation, Data Analytics, and Software Consulting. These new areas complement their existing services such as engineering, surveying, permitting, regulatory, and idle well management.
- Cornerstone’s Business Process Automation team focuses on implementing digital solutions to reduce costs and save time. They utilize workflow automation tools such as DocuSign and LaserFiche to streamline large data sets accurately.
- The Data Analytics team delivers custom software solutions, Data-as-a-Service, and large language model Artificial Intelligence solutions to enhance strategic decision-making.
- The Software Consulting practice develops custom software tailored to specific business needs.
- To support these new areas, Cornerstone has hired ten employees to fill new positions, increasing their headcount to more than 80. These new employees were previously employed by Stria, a Bitwise Industries Company that folded after the collapse of its parent company.
Driving the news: Kevin Torbert, a local software and technology industry veteran, joins Cornerstone as the Director of Data Analytics and Digital Solutions.
- Torbert brings over fifteen years of experience in technology roles, including support to the oil, gas, and energy industries. In his role, he will oversee product development and provide technical staff leadership.
The backstory: Cornerstone Engineering has been providing engineering and consulting services in Bakersfield for over 40 years. They offer a wide range of services including civil and land development, surveying, aerial drone services, mechanical and design/drafting, utilities, natural resources, permitting and regulatory, business process automation, data analytics, software consulting, and idle well management. For more information, visit their website at www.cornerstoneeng.com.