The Fresno Grizzlies announced their sale to Diamond Baseball Holdings (DBH), a major operator of minor league clubs in the U.S., including the San Jose Giants.
Driving the news: DBH plans to continue operating the Fresno Grizzlies as the Single-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, under the existing leadership of President and General Manager Derek Franks and the current front office staff.
- The current owner of the Grizzlies, Fresno Sports & Events LLC, will be replaced by DBH as the new owner.
- Michael Baker, managing partner of Fresno Sports & Events, expressed confidence in the new ownership, stating that they will preserve and celebrate the fan experience that defines the Grizzlies.
What they’re saying: Fresno Mayor Jerry Dyer expressed excitement about the sale and welcomed DBH, highlighting their expertise and the benefits they will bring to both the Grizzlies and downtown revitalization efforts.
- Pat Battle, executive chairman of DBH, expressed enthusiasm about the partnership with the Grizzlies and their shared vision for providing excellent entertainment and growing relationships with the Colorado Rockies.
- “We’re thrilled to partner with the Grizzlies to bolster what Derek and his team have successfully built in the Fresno community,” said Battle, executive chairman, and Peter Freund, CEO of DBH. “Our shared vision for bringing the absolute best in entertainment to the ballpark 365 days a year is one of many things that excites us most about the franchise along with continuing to grow our relationship with the Colorado Rockies, having recently entered into an agreement to purchase their Triple-A affiliate in Albuquerque.”
- The sale is subject to league consent and other standard closing conditions but is expected to be completed promptly.