Rep. David Valadao (R–Hanford) has been appointed to a second major committee in the House of Representatives.
Along with remaining on the House Committee on Appropriations, Valadao is now joining the House Committee on Budget to his responsibilities.
The big picture: Valadao has served on the Appropriations Committee since he was first elected in 2013, with the exception of 2018-2020 when he was out of office. The Appropriations Committee holds the power of the purse for the government.
- His assignment to the Budget Committee comes as one of the Appropriations Committee’s five required appointees to the Budget Committee.
State of play: Valadao will also serve on three subcommittees as part of the Appropriations Committee:
- Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration
- Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
What they’re saying: In a statement, Valadao said he is honored to be assigned to both committees.
- “Serving on both the budget and appropriations committees gives the Central Valley a seat at the table in determining how your tax dollars are spent – a responsibility I do not take lightly. I look forward to working in the Republican majority to return to regular order and get our fiscal house in order.”