Rep. Katie Porter’s (D–Irvine) campaign to win Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s seat in the U.S. Senate is coming under assault over renewed interest in Porter’s alleged anger issues.
A report on Wednesday detailed a bevy of accusations alleging Porter – a fiery progressive – is known to fly off the handle, berate staff, and physically assault her ex-husband.
Divorce driving the news: A report from The Daily Mail details a bevy of instances in which Porter’s anger issues have flared up on Capitol Hill and back home in Southern California.
- In March 2013, Porter and her then-husband, Matthew Hoffman, divorced but opted to continue living together for the sake of their three children.
- During the cohabitation, their relationship deteriorated – with Porter and Hoffman filing restraining orders against each other and alleging abuse.
- In divorce filings, Hoffman alleged Porter dumped a bowl of steaming hot boiled potatoes on his head.
- Hoffman insisted that Porter was prone to ‘extreme anger’ and had a ‘history of snapping and screaming at [him] and the children,’ and would ‘claw and scratch her arms’ while blaming him for the markings.
- Hoffman said Porter frequently said things like ‘you f***ing idiot!’ and ‘you’re f***ing incompetent.’ ‘She would not let me have a cell phone because she said, ‘you’re too f***ing dumb to operate it,” Hoffman said.
S—t-talking her own staff: In 2022, a thread of text messages emerged in which Porter implicitly fired a veteran and Wounded Warrior legislative fellow, alleging that the woman – Sasha Georgiades “gave me Covid.”
- Georgiades would later describe the Irvine lawmaker as “very dismissive” and “short-tempered.”
- The incident with Georgiades prompted a wave of anonymous complaints against Porter via viral Capitol Hill social media account dubbed “Dear White Staffers.”
- Commenters alleged that Porter would say “rude/racist things” while attempting to “mask it as edgy humor.”