The Savannah Bananas, the famed exhibition baseball team from Savannah, Ga., will be returning to Fresno’s Chukchansi Park after a successful debut over the summer.
The team is set for a run coinciding with Cinco De Mayo in 2024, likely to deliver even more interest from locals.
Driving the news: The Savannah Bananas will be playing against their adversary team, the Savannah Party Animals, during their stop in Fresno.
- The team will host their games at Chukchansi Park from May 3-5.
- Tickets for the Banana’s 2024 tour will be available via lottery with the lottery closing on Dec. 1.
- A random drawing will select fans from the list two months before the event, giving them the opportunity to purchase tickets.
Behind the ball: The team, dubbed the “World Famous Baseball Circus,” is known for their unconventional approach to the game, challenging traditional baseball rules and adding entertaining elements to their play.
- They follow a unique style of play called “Banana ball,” which is a faster version of baseball that emphasizes continuous play and has a two-hour time limit for games.
- In “Banana ball,” players are not allowed to bunt or step out of the batter’s box, and there are no pitchers’ mound visits. Walks are referred to as sprints, and fans catching foul balls count as outs.