Former Fresno City College men’s basketball coach Ed Madec was arrested last week for allegedly threatening to shoot State Center Community College Chancellor Carole Goldsmith and others on campus.
Madec, who is still a teacher at Fresno City College, was placed on administrative leave following the arrest. He was released on bail.
The big picture: According to law enforcement, Madec allegedly threatened to shoot Goldsmith while teaching a class, leading students to file reports with police.
- Madec indicated that bullet points on his PowerPoint presentations were bullets flying toward his students, according to the warrant.
- Madec coached the men’s basketball team for 14 seasons but was placed on administrative leave in 2020 because of alleged violations surrounding snacks and team barbecues.
- Although he was removed as coach, he remained on staff at Fresno City College as a physical education teacher.
- He also coached Buchanan High School’s boy’s basketball team for eight games last year before stepping down.
What they’re saying: “With Mr. Madec’s release and with the gravity of the threats he allegedly made, the SCCCD Police Department is deeply concerned that the alleged suspect may pose a serious and ongoing threat to Fresno City College students and staff,” police said in a statement.
- SCCCD police urged people to not confront Madec if they encounter him on campus. Instead, anyone who sees him should call the police to let law enforcement handle the situation.