A driver crashed his car into an SUV that was part of President Biden’s motorcade.
Driving the news: The Wilmington (Del.) Police Department charged the driver, a 46-year-old man, with driving under the influence of alcohol and inattentive driving.
- Authorities determined that the crash was accidental and neither President Biden nor first lady Jill Biden were injured.
- Biden and the first lady had attended a reception with campaign staff in Wilmington before the incident occurred.
- Moments after answering a question from reporters, a sedan hit an SUV parked at the intersection across the street from campaign headquarters to block traffic.
- The first lady had already gotten into her vehicle, while the president was still standing outside the car when the crash happened.
- Secret Service agents escorted Biden into his car, and the president’s motorcade pulled away a few minutes later.