Not only has Fresno State moved up in the rankings, the Bulldogs will have an opportunity to impress on Saturday in what could be their largest national audience of the year.
Fresno State (5-0) will hit the road to play Wyoming (4-1) on Saturday, a matchup between two of the Mountain West’s top teams that will be broadcast on FOX.
Driving the news: After breaking into the Associated Press Top 25 last week at No. 25, the Bulldog slid up to 24th after taking out Nevada 27-9 last Saturday.
- The Bulldogs benefitted from Kansas – the previous 24th ranked team – losing 40-14 to Texas.
What we’re watching: Fresno State’s matchup against Wyoming is not only one of the most anticipated matchups in the Mountain West this season, but the FOX broadcast will put the Bulldogs on an over-the-air channel nationally in prime time, a rarity for them.
- Fresno State had three such games last year: at USC, at Boise State for the Mountain West Championship Game and on ABC against Washington State in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl.
- Before that, the last time the Bulldogs appeared nationally on an over-the-air channel was against Arizona State in the 2018 Las Vegas Bowl.
- A regular season Mountain West game on FOX is unprecedented for Fresno State and is the only Mountain West game scheduled for the network this season.
- Fresno State and Wyoming were selected for the 5 p.m. slot on FOX over a Big 12 matchup between TCU and Iowa State, which was bumped to FS2.
- Maryland and Ohio State will start the day on FOX at 9 a.m. PT, followed by UCF at Kansas at 1 p.m. before the Bulldogs and Cowboys take the field in Laramie, Wyoming.
By the numbers: Saturday’s matchup pits two of the conference’s top defenses against each other. Fresno State ranks second in the league – behind Air Force – allowing just 17 points per game. Wyoming is third at 25.2 points per game.
- There’s quite a difference on the other side of the ball, however. The Bulldogs rank third in the Mountain West in scoring offense with 36.4 points per game. Wyoming ranks 9th as the Cowboys are averaging 26.2 points per game.