Clovis businessman David Giglio has chosen his lane for another Congressional run, launching his campaign Monday to challenge former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R–Bakersfield).
Driving the news: Calling himself an America First Republican, Giglio said in his campaign announcement that it is time for radical change, praising the eight Republicans who voted with Democrats to remove McCarthy as Speaker a few weeks ago.
- Giglio moved to the Central Valley from Connecticut in 2017 and owns a sports card and collectible shop in Clovis.
- Democrats John Burrows, Andy Morales and Marissa Wood are also running in the 20th District.
The backstory: Giglio ran for the open 13th Congressional District last year but wasn’t able to make it out of the primary, earning 14.8 percent of the vote. He finished in fourth place behind eventual winner Rep. John Duarte (R–Modesto), former Asm. Adam Gray (D–Merced) and perennial Democrat candidate Phil Arballo.
- He had previously campaigned to challenge Rep. Jim Costa (D–Fresno) but shifted to the 13th District after the new district lines were finalized for the 2022 election.
What we’re watching: Giglio faces a tough path ahead against McCarthy given the former Speaker’s penchant for fundraising.
- McCarthy raised $4.5 million in the third quarter of the year, giving him over $10.6 million in his war chest.
- McCarthy also has a track record of being popular in the district, defeating Marissa Wood last year with 67.2 percent of the vote.
What they’re saying: In his announcement, Giglio said McCarthy has failed the American People and has sold out the people of the Central Valley to special interests.
- He added that people deserve an America First Republican to work alongside former President Donald Trump to wage war against what he calls the corrupt uniparty.
- Giglio also called the eight Republicans who voted to remove McCarthy as Speaker “courageous.”
- “Now more than ever, it is imperative that we replace career politicians and elect America First Republicans who will secure the southern border, stop the weaponization of government, drain the corrupt swamp, and annihilate permanent Washington,” Giglio said. “The American people want and deserve radical change, and I intend to do whatever it takes to fight, win, and deliver.”