CSU board to vote on proposed tuition hike

Six percent tuition increases could start as early as next year if the CSU board approves the plan on Wednesday.

Students of the California State University system, the largest public university system in the world, could face a major tuition hike over the next several years. 

The CSU Board of Trustees is set to vote on a plan on Wednesday that would raise tuition starting in the fall of 2024. 


The big picture: Wednesday’s proposal would see tuition increased by six percent annually over the next five years. 

  • The board’s Committee on Finance initially approved the plan in July, setting the stage for the board to pass the tuition increase this week. 
  • Tuition has not increased in the CSU since the 2011-2012 academic year, when it was raised by five percent, totalling $270 per semester. 
  • CSU officials say tuition increases are needed because there are $1.5 billion in unfunded operational costs in the budget. 
  • Talk of an increase started in May when a CSU workgroup found that the university system could only pay for about 85 percent of the costs it takes to run 23 campuses and serve over 460,000 students. 

Go deeper: Around 40 percent of the CSU’s budget comes from tuition, with the remaining 60 percent coming from the state budget. 

  • The state has agreed to a five percent increase to the CSU, totalling $227.3 million this fiscal year, the CSU still would not have enough money to get out of the red. 
  • When the planned tuition hikes reach their peak in the spring 2029 semester, a year of tuition would cost $7,682 for undergraduate degrees, not including housing, food and other needs. 
  • With $860 million in projected revenue over the first five years of increases, the CSU would allocate $280 million of that for financial aid. 

What we’re watching: The CSU board will vote on the plan during its meeting on Wednesday starting at 8 a.m. 

Related Posts