Before laboring to become Speaker of the House in January, Kevin McCarthy spent virtually his entire Congressional career anchored in Kern County.
With the flip of a map during the 2021 redistricting process, it all changed. Now, the new Speaker has a district spanning Fresno and Kings counties and a familiar face to help manage the new territory.
Meet Blake Zante: An experienced political professional, formerly the right-hand advisor to state Sen. Andreas Borgeas (R–Fresno) and Fresno County Planning Commissioner. Zante joined McCarthy’s campaign staff in 2022 to help build in-roads into Fresno County as the would-be Speaker sought re-election.
- Now, Zante leads McCarthy’s newly-opened Fresno County district office in Clovis, located at the northwest corner of Herndon and Armstrong avenues.
- Serving as McCarthy’s eyes and ears in the region, Zante’s primary role is to connect constituents to the Speaker of the House and federal agencies.
- Zante, a former student body president of Fresno State, brings a wealth of local knowledge and understanding to the position. His main responsibility is to serve as a link between constituents in Fresno and Kings counties and the Speaker himself.
Building bridges: The McCarthy aide has spent the first eight months of 2023 engaging with a wide array of local residents community groups, and local organizations to understand the key issues affecting Fresno County residents.
- By actively listening and seeking input, Zante aims to ensure that the concerns and ideas of the constituents are relayed accurately to McCarthy. This direct line of communication will help bridge the gap between local needs and federal policy-making.
- Moreover, Zante – along with McCarthy staff focused on case work – have played a crucial role in connecting constituents with federal agencies in the northern parts of the district. Most notably, local McCarthy staff have focused on shepherding a litany of passport requests amid an overload with the State Department.
Out of office: Beyond his day-to-day on McCarthy’s staff, Zante serves on the Board of Directors of the Fresno State Alumni Association and the California Republican Staff Association.
What they’re saying: “I’m incredibly grateful to represent Congressman McCarthy and for the opportunity to connect with our neighbors and community leaders each day,” Zante said at a recent community event. “Service is the Congressman’s top priority.”
Connect with Rep. McCarthy’s Clovis Office: (559) 701-2530
Have a co-worker, employee, or volunteer you want to highlight?