Speaker Emeritus Kevin McCarthy is rumored to be a candidate for a new job: Chairman of the Republican National Committee.
Those rumors, which began circulating Tuesday evening, drew further comments from Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, who was behind McCarthy’s ouster as Speaker last year.
The big picture: Multiple reports Tuesday said current RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel may step down after the South Carolina primary election on Feb. 24.
- The New York Times reported that McDaniel spoke to former President Donald Trump about resigning.
- Trump told Fox News last Sunday that he expects to see “some changes” when asked about RNC leadership.
What they’re saying: After rumors started swirling around, Gaetz took to X to “fully endorse” McCarthy for RNC Chair.
- “Kevin is well organized and a very high-revenue fundraiser. He will also be well-liked by the RNC Committee,” Gaetz wrote.
- “The RNC Chair doesn’t make any policy decisions, set any agenda, or negotiate against Democrats, ever.
- “Kevin would be terrific.”