A Romanian national operating in Fresno pleaded guilty in federal court to using counterfeit debit cards and skimming devices on Monday.
U.S. Attorney Phillip Talbert announced the guilty plea on Monday.
The big picture: Christos Mavrokelos, 37, is a Romanian national who operated from July 2021 through November 2023 in Fresno and Madera Counties.
- According to court documents, Mavrokelos knowingly and with the intent to defraud used counterfeit debit cards that contained victims’ stolen account information to make unauthorized cash withdrawls on the victims’ accounts.
- Account information was stolen by Mavrokelos using skimming devices.
- Mavrokelos made unauthorized withdrawals from over 10 accounts, causing an actual loss of $75,000.
- The Department of Justice said the reasonably foreseeable intended loss was over $95,000.
- The FBI and the Clovis Police Department investigated the case.
What we’re watching: Mavrokelos is scheduled to be sentenced on May 13 and Faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.