The iconic G sign atop one of downtown Fresno’s historic buildings will be replaced.
The big picture: State Center Community College District announced Thursday that it will remove the G sign from its office on Saturday.
- SCCCD purchased the building in 2018, which used to be owned by Guarantee Savings & Loan Association.
- Guarantee installed the sign in 1965, which rotated and changed colors according to the weather for 30 years.
- SCCCD inspected the sign in 2018 and found that it was not feasible to repair.
What we’re watching: The community college district plans to install a new G sign by the summer of 2025.
- The new sign will have upgraded LED lighting to follow the current exterior building lighting schemes that change in recognition of commemorative events.
- In the meantime, the original G sign will be relocated to the Fresno Fairgrounds.