Bakersfield’s Hoffmann Hospice has secured one of the greatest baseball players in recent history to be the marquee speaker at an event next year.
The nonprofit announced Thursday that New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter will be the highlight guest at the 27th annual Voices of Inspiration event.
Driving the news: Hoffmann Hospice’s Voice of Inspiration fundraiser will be held on Feb. 1, 2024, at the Mechanics Bank Theater in Bakersfield.
- Jeter, the former Yankees captain, five-time World Series champion and Hall of Famer, is slated for a highlight talk at the end of the event.
- Jeter’s talk will be preceded by a social hour, cocktails, raffle prizes and dinner.
- Hoffmann Hospice has a history of bringing in high-profile celebrities for its annual fundraiser.
- Guest speakers throughout the years include Vin Scully, Peyton Manning, Michael Phelps, Michael J. Fox, Kurt Warner, Mark Wahlberg and Reba McEntire.
- During Wahlberg’s appearance in 2019 for the 25th annual event, Hoffmann Hospice raised nearly $150,000 with over 1,000 people in attendance.
- Former President George Bush and First Lady Laura Bush were on the docket to speak at the 2021 event, but Hoffmann Hospice canceled it due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Tickets for next year’s event will go on sale on Oct. 2 at hoffmannhospice.org.