Fresno Yosemite International Airport is expecting a busy holiday travel season from now through Jan. 2, 2024.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) projects the busiest travel days to be Dec. 21, Dec. 22, Dec. 28 and Dec. 29.
The airport is encouraging travelers to arrive early and be prepared. Flights are anticipated to be at or near capacity, with fewer options available to accommodate rebooking if flights are missed.
The airport sent out the following tips for travelers:
- Passengers are strongly encouraged to arrive early at the airport; up to two hours prior to domestic flight departures, and up to three hours prior to international flights.
- Please be prepared to be patient and flexible. While the current weather forecast does not show specific impacts during the holiday travel period, things can change very rapidly and affect travel plans. Immediately contact your airline if your flight has been impacted.
- Check with your airline on flight status before leaving for the airport. Convenient flight status links are available on most airline websites and mobile apps, or passengers may telephone their airline for flight status information.
- Pack smart; start with empty bags. By packing for travel with empty bags, passengers are less likely to bring prohibited items through a TSA checkpoint. Check for prohibited items by using the “What Can I Bring?” page at TSA.gov .
- Transporting firearms and ammunition: If you plan to travel with a firearm, you must properly pack the firearm in a hard-sided, locked case in your checked bag and declare it with the airline at the ticket counter when checking in. Passengers are prohibited from packing firearms in carry-on luggage and bringing them to the airport security checkpoint and onboard an aircraft. Bringing a firearm to a TSA checkpoint is expensive and time-consuming and can cause delays. For more information on transporting firearms, visit: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition.
TSA Security Screening
- TSA Cares is a helpline that provides travelers and families with disabilities, medical conditions, and other special circumstances additional assistance during the security screening process. Call 72 hours prior to traveling at 855.787.2227 with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint. Or contact TSA Cares online at https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares.
- TSA recommends packing gifts in gift bags or boxes instead of wrapping them because if a gift triggers an alarm, it will need to be opened to resolve the alarm. Wrapped presents that trigger an alarm will need the gift wrap removed, but if the gift is in a bag or a box, it is much easier for TSA to look at the item to resolve the alarm.
- Review TSA’s 3-1-1 Liquids Rule for carry-on bags. Travelers may bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, and pastes in their carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces or less per item. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces in checked baggage.
- Traveling with Food Tip: If you can spill it, spray it, spread it, pump it, or pour it, the TSA considers this item a liquid. And if it’s larger than 3.4 ounces, then it should go in a checked bag.
- Parking is in high demand during the peak holiday periods. Since lots and the parking garage can fill up quickly, please keep an alternate lot in mind in case your first choice is no longer available upon arrival. Travelers with parking questions can contact FAT’s parking operator SP+ at 559.252.0052. For parking options and a printable map, please visit flyfresno.com/parking/ .
Cell Phone Waiting and Ground Transportation
- A Free Cell Phone Waiting Area is conveniently located near the terminal to accommodate friends and family who are picking up arriving passengers. Look for the blue signs to the lot entrance. Drivers must stay with their vehicles.
- Rideshare drop-off and pick-up area, Fresno Area Express (FAX), and V-Line are in front of terminal Departures curb at the center median and marked with blue signage. For a map of ground transportation locations, please visit flyfresno.com/parking/.
- Taxi service is available across from the Baggage Claim doors at the center median.
Holiday Entertainment at FAT
- The Holiday Music Program returns for the seventh straight year with live musical performances by a talented lineup of local pianists and Miel de Agave. As part of the Airport’s Arts & Culture Program, these musicians will entertain travelers and create a festive holiday vibe in the boarding areas throughout the season.
- Several decorated and illuminated trees, including a Patriotic Tree, set the holiday tone in the terminal and giant holiday themed selfie stations in the central lobby area welcomes friends and family to capture holiday photos.
Health and Safety
- Review CDC travel tips for a healthy and safe holiday travel season https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/traveling-holidays.
- Remain aware. Travelers should report suspicious activities, and remember: If You See Something, Say Something.