The California Assembly’s summer recess will continue indefinitely after officials revealed that five employees have tested positive for coronavirus, including one assemblymember.
The assembly had been scheduled to return on July 13.
Assemblymember Autumn Burke (D-Inglewood) Tweeted Monday that she tested positive for COVID-19. Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon confirmed that four other employees also tested positive, but he did not say if they were assemblymembers or staff.
“The Assembly will remain in recess until further notice,” Rendon said. “We have taken this decision, as we did in March, to protect members, staff and the public from exposure, and it comes in light of recent news of positive coronavirus tests in the Capitol.”
In her Tweet, Burke said that she had a “mask to mask” exposure to COVID-19.
“On July 3 I received a call from the Assembly Human Resources Department that I had a ‘mask to mask’ exposure to COVID-19 on June 26,” Burke wrote. “I was tested on the morning of July 4 and received my results in the evening that I had tested positive for the coronavirus.
“Currently, my daughter and I have no symptoms, but will be remaining in quarantine until released by a doctor. Thank you to everyone who has reached out with well wishes. We are fine, but it is of the utmost importance that everybody stay safe, be healthy and remain vigilant.”
On June 26, the assemblymembers were on the Assembly floor approving the state’s $202 billion budget. The Assembly required all lawmakers to wear masks and had physical distancing measures in place.